On Wednesday 2 May 2018, the Government introduced the Tenant Fees Bill in the parliament.
Highlights of the bill :
- Ban on Letting Fees.
- Fee / Charges only for change or early termination of tenancy requested by tenant.
- Change to tenancy capped at £50
- Maximum 6 weeks deposit.
- Holding deposit capped at 1 weeks rent.
- Bill prevents landlords from recovering possession of their property via the section 21 Housing Act 1988 procedure until they have repaid any unlawfully charged fees.
- fine of £5,000 for an initial breach of the ban with a criminal offence
The Tenant Fees Bill is now subject to Parliamentary timetables and will be introduced in law next year.